It would appear from my recent blogs that I am obssessed with the weather. I am not. However, today was beautiful!!!!! And as a mother of 2 preschool boys who have excessive energy that exudes every fiber of their being - outside is a must for a thoroughly good time. So, yesterday and today we hit 70* and we took advantage of every minute! Yesterday, we took a picnic to Epworth and taught the boys how to play Frisbee Golf. They were totally taken in and wanted more.
Today, (after we skipped church and blamed it on the time change) Mark suggested we go to the beach. Did you all catch that.... MARK SUGGESTED it!!! For all you MBMUMC Choir Tour alumni, you know.....Mark hates the beach. Sand...sweat .... he wishes it were paved - but that's another blog entirely. There is something so sweet about a day spent with your family at your husband's suggestion when you know he doesn't really want to do it but does it b/c you do!!! (Did you catch that?!) He confessed afterward that he didn't mind b/c it's technically Spring and he didn't think he'd get that sweaty. He did have a minor seizure every time one of our boys face planted or rolled around in the sand though. All in all - a GREAT day at the beach.
When we got home, Mark wanted to know if I felt like helping out with a good garage cleaning! I love garage cleaning! It's the ultimate 'straightening job'. You aren't really 'cleaning'. I mean, who actually can 'clean' a garage? I hate cleaning. I'm no good at it.
So, bear with me a few minutes as I ponder this. So, I came back in and began unloading the dishwasher after folding laundry and realized: I love doing laundry and dishes. I hate cleaning my house. I love straightening the houe. But I hate cleaning my house. I love painting my house. But I hate cleaning my house.
Here's what I think I realized: I love laundry, dishes, and painting b/c YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED. Laundry is done when there are no more clothes in the hamper and they are all in your drawers or closet smelling sweet. Dishes are done when there are no more in the sink or the dishwasher. Painting is done when you look around and all the walls have new paint on them.
Cleaning. Cleaning in my mind's eye is never done. Let's take the bathroom for instance. You clean the obvious: the toilet, the bathtub, the mirror, and the counters. If I'm feeling exceptionally clean, I mop the tile. But there's always more, you could take a toothpick to the goop in the faucet. You could take a toothbrush scrub to the tiles on the floor AND the shower. You could wipe down the walls. You could dust the molding around the floor. You could clean every nook & cranny of that nasty toilet b/c 2 little boys tend to look around while they pee thus sending drops of you know what into unwanted places. Seriously... the bathroom is NEVER DONE. I haven't even begun on other rooms. This is just one room. And I have 2 bathrooms!!!!!!!!
Now, I know some of you are thinking my laundry is never done either. I have a friend. I won't name any names. Her initials are CB. Her last name rhymes with Wedingfield. God love you, CB. I'm not sure her laundry is ever done. Despite her large, lavish laundry room, there are times I can't even sort out the clean from the not-so-clean. Some of us love laundry. Some don't. I can accept that. But somehow, in my mind's eye - for me, that chore seems like I can finish it. And know it's done. Even though, before bedtime hits, there more dirty clothes in the hamper.
What does this say about me? I'm not sure. I want to know the task is completed. I cannot tolerate the nagging sensation that more could be done when in fact I do not enjoy the task one bit to begin with. It's just going to get dirty all over again. Does this even make sense? Is anyone out there?
So, today I enjoyed the beach and then realized I'm crazy. Nice.
Snoring...
Asa is totally into Star Wars these days. Last night, he decided he was going to bed as Darth Vader with his Batman cape. All the while, breathing heavily like Vader. Being concerned about Darth Vader choking in his sleep I tell him this is not a good idea. He tried to convince me that Darth Vader sleeps in his cape - I tell him that he's never actually seen Darth Vader sleeping and that I'm certain that he hangs his cape on his bedside table until he puts it back on before breakfast. Asa obliges - all the while breathing heavily like Darth Vader.
As he climbs into bed (still breathing deeply), he lays his head on the pillow and says, "I wonder how Darth Vader snores?"
As he climbs into bed (still breathing deeply), he lays his head on the pillow and says, "I wonder how Darth Vader snores?"
Sunday, March 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I totally caught my dryer on fire last week, real smoke was billowing out of it. I ended up spending the entire day replacing the 4" flexible vent conduit that melted into the floor. But, I'll never be caught up on my laundry. Never. However, the dryer is working much more efficiently now.
I still can't believe you live at the beach. How amazing for the boys!
Soooooooo, about you "island stealers"... yes, I thought it would be a cute term to remember ya'll's blog by!!
If we do decide to head ya'll's way this summer, we will definitely drop by and say HELLO. I miss GP SO MUCH sometimes...
Oh the wonderful MBMUMC Choir Tour days! They were sooo much fun. Hey, do you remember when Mark taught us all how to make ourselves pass out?! So fun! Bill wasn't too fond of that learning experience!
Mark and I were born to be friends- I hate the beach. You and I were born to be friends- I hate cleaning. Me and your boys were born to be friends- they just rule. I guess that isn't as much scientifically proven as it is just wishful thinking.....
Hilarious. You're crazy - and I love it!!! What even is cleaning?
Have you bought paint colors yet?
I could not agree with you more on this one! I hate cleaning-especially bathrooms-but love doing tasks that have an end like laundry and dishes.
I love Mark but still can't get over the injustice of him living at the beach and not even appreciating it. But super sweet of him to go b/c he knows you want to.
Glad you read Noah's story. I know it's exhausting but so worth it.
All I wanted to do was leave a comment and I wound up starting my own blog. Yeesh. We miss you guys and hope to see you soon. I think I am coming down south with TT in a month. So get ready. Tell Mark I miss him and look forward to hugging him tight.
Post a Comment